There’s nothing I love more than hot summer days filled with backyard barbecues, but navigating the food tables at these get-togethers can often be daunting and sometimes derail us from our goals. So how can you navigate the food and drink options at your next cookout while still honoring your health and fitness goals?
1. LISTEN to your body, eat slowly, and don’t feel obligated to finish everything on your plate.
2. Grab smaller portions so you can have a taste of everything. I promise you’ll find this 100% more satisfying than putting a heaping mound of potato salad on your plate!
3. Offer to bring a healthy dish so that you know there will be at least one thing you’ll want to eat.
4. Drink enough water throughout the day. Our favorite summer drinks (beer, sangria, wine slushies, etc.) can be very dehydrating to our bodies. If you choose to enjoy an adult beverage or two, drink a glass of water between each beverage to ensure you’re staying hydrated.
5. Never skip the salad, but be mindful of toppings and dressings as they can pack a major calorie punch.
Remember that summer is all about BALANCE. Honor your body, but don’t deprive yourself of the occasional ice cold adult beverage or sweet treat. Warm weather only lasts for a few months in Western New York, so kick back, relax, and enjoy yourself in moderation!